LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Morning thoughts

I'm up early this morning because my body still is not used to getting more than about 5 hours of sleep. You know, there's not much on TV at 4:30 a.m.

I wanted to share my lament about local radio. I was listening to WHTC out of Holland the other morning. I have to listen to it as part of my job, otherwise I would blot this station out of my mind.

Anyway, the hosts had their regually scheduled garden guest on talking about squirrels. A caller asked if devices that make noise will work in scaring off the squirrels.

No, replied the garden guest.

Squirrels don't have rhythm, says one of the hosts.

"Except the black ones," says the garden guest. All laugh.

I almost fell out of my chair. This is the same radio station that allowed its morning DJ to make jokes about watermellon during a segment on Martin Luther King.

If I need a reminder that racism is alive and well, I just need to look out my own front door.

Thought: Why can't morning radio just play music?

2 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let Al Sharpton find out! He's already trying to get the NFL Hall of Fame game cancelled because he didn't like the way the city of Canton handled something.

Any speculation of action Sharpton might take would probably involve 'nut' jokes, 'nut reparations', 'nut equality', etc.

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how are these boneheads still on the air?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home