LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Reading wrap


I finished the book "Lamb," by Christopher Moore. It's about the unaccounted years in the life of Jesus told through the eyes of his best friend, Biff.


I laughed a lot in the book. Just the other night I thought I'd wake the house when I was reading the discussion between Jesus and Biff on the Sermon on the Mount. They were running through who should be blessed and what they should inherit.


Also funny: The apostles. There was Thomas and his invisible friend, Thomas Two. At times, the apostles are portrayed as, well, idiots and dense people, though Judas and Simon are menacing and maniacal.


Overall, it was a good read. The end rushed through the crucifixion and the resurrection. I thought Moore copped out here. Also, the fate of Biff and Judas was hurried. It's like he didn't want to write this section. The book would have been better if he ended before the death.


Moore also abandoned the first-person chapter openings by modern day Biff and stuck with the narration, which was a bit disappointing.


Anyway, it was an amusing read. The author takes shots at all religions, so it's an equal-opportunity offender.


I'm sticking with the ancients theme and started Anthony Everitt's "Augustus." I enjoyed his earlier work, "Cicero."


Thought: No snow day today!

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not exactly known for such pursuits, but I'm in the middle of 'My Attainment of The Pole' by Dr. Frederick A. Cook, printed in 1912. They just began the trip home. It's an interesting mix of story and science.

Thought I never thought before, but Cook did:
What time is it at the North Pole?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home