LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Ringo


I got back to working out today at the Fennville Community Athletic Center. I hadn't been on the bike since November because of the holiday hours at work, the bad weather (swinging a shovel is the best exercise anywhere) and the kids being home from school.


I rode a bit today and got on the eliptical machine. Wow! I used that machine back when we were members at the Holland Community Aquatic Center (I do miss those days!) and then it really built up my leg muscles. As soon as I hit the road on a real bike that spring, I noticed the difference. I hope to repeat that come March.


So, I work on my stamina on the bike at the gym and build up the legs on the elipitcal. All for $20 a year.


While pedaling, I was listening to a CD Jayne got me for Christmas -- Ringo Starr's new greatest hits collection.


Stop laughing! He has greatest hits despite what one of my co-workers said last week. She couldn't name a single Ringo single. Kids these days.


I have a couple of Ringo albums (vinyl) and, yes, he's not that good. In fact, I think he's one of the luckiest men in the world. He got into the most creative musical group of the 20th century and he isn't that good. And, you know what: He knows it.


That's why I like Ringo. I enjoy "Photograph," which I think is one of the best songs out there, and "It Don't Come Easy" is telling, but I like his attitude best.


He seems to be the kind of guy you want as a friend. John Lennon could be biting and mean (genius often is); George Harrison could be preachy (the spiritually aware can be boring); and Paul McCartney's ego takes up its own ZIP code (but he is great). Ringo, though, is just easy-going and wants to be buddies with everyone.


And that's cool.


Thought: Take a dose of rock 'n' roll and wash it down with cool, clear soul.

1 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still buy Ringo music (his next one is out the 15th). Part of the appeal is that I can sing to it, no high notes or tongue-twisters.
Ringo does seem to be everybody's pal - on what I think was his last 'album' (or whatever its called now), "Choose Love", he mostly worked with his reguar band, but did a good duet with Chrissie Hynde (Don't hang Up). Billy Preston was on a few tracks as well. Before that, on "Vertical Man", George was on 'King of Broken Hearts', Steven Tyler of Aerosmith was on 'Love Me Do', Ozzy Osbourne on the title track, 'Drift Away' with Tyler, Tom Petty, Alanis Morisette, 'I Was Walkin' with Tyler, Morisette and McCartney, a rowd including his wife Barbara Bach (I should've been a drummer!)on 'La De Da', and a string arrangement by George Martin on 'I'm Yours'. I like the songs with his band The Roundheads, but the songs with guests and friends are always fun. Early Ringo albums, recall, included Bette Midler, Melissa Manchester, etc. Seems nobody hates Ringo!

"Life is life...This was just a record" - Ringo Starr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home