LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

The junk we give

Jayne did some cleaning of the closet over the holidays and collected a couple of bags of clothes to donate. We often take clothes and other items to Christian Neighbors, Goodwill, Community Action House and the Center for Women in Transition.

This time, I took the clothes to the Center for Women in Transition, a place that helps women and families displaced by domestic violence. I also took a few cell phones we no longer use. We've brought old cells there before. The center can program them to call 911 and gives them to women in bad situations so they can get help ASAP.

Anyway, I went to the Center for Women in Transition Wednesday to drop off these items. I handed the woman at the counter the box with the cell phones and chargers in it. Here's a recap of the conversation and please note the words "thank you" never come from people in the organization:

-- There are three cell phones in here, say I.

-- Do they work? says she.

-- Yes. We upgraded and ...

-- You know, we don't take junk.

-- (Dumbfounded) They work fine. I don't give away junk. (awkward silence) I have several bags of clothes to donate. Where should I leave them?

-- Are they women's clothes?

-- Yes, ma'am. My wife cleaned out her closet over the holidays and ...

-- Are they all seasonal clothes?

-- Huh?

-- Are they all winter clothes? We don't want any summer clothes now.

-- Uh, I don't know, ma'am. My wife loaded the bags and ...

-- We don't have room for junk, you know. We have very limited space.

-- Uh, ma'am, we don't donate junk. (I thought I already made that clear)

-- Are the clothes on hangers? says another woman with a clipboard who was standing behind me.

-- What? No, ma'am, they're in bags.

-- Well (says annoyed clipboard woman), our volunteers don't have time to sort through your stuff. If it's on hangers we can speed up the process. Our volunteers are very busy, you know. When you come back, please put as many as possible on hangers.

-- Yes, well, thank you. Goodbye.

I always like to feel welcome. Again, note the words "thank you" never left their lips.

I told Jayne about this and she was a bit put out. Seems most of the clothes were, indeed, "seasonal." Lots of turtle necks, sweaters, warm pants -- things a woman just kicked out of her home might need in January and February in Michigan.

I'll take the material to the Community Action House today. They'll say either "thank you" or "gracias," depending on who's staffing the donation center today, and I'll say, "you're welcome" or "da nada."

Thought: Da nada? Does that mean "You umbrella"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home