LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Radio tuning


I finished the biography of Augustus. It was a bit superficial, but I did enjoy it. I remain in awe of Augustus, above, and how maintained a 40-plus year reign in such a chaotic time.


More so, though, the book fed my interest in Agrippa -- I've always had a great respect for him as being the best friend an emperor could have -- and Tiberius. I learned a lot about his early life, his undying love for his first wife, Vipsania, and his brother, Drusus.


I'm reading "The Time Machine," by H.G. Wells. I was born the same day as he was, but 100 years later. So, I will keep an eye on Aug. 13, 2049.


Radio static


I've lamented the poor quality of West Michigan radio many times before, but, hey, why stop now?


I've had enough of 92.7 WYVN out of Holland. The station recently ditched its live DJs and classic rock and now has all canned material and preprogrammed music. It plays the same dozen songs or so all the time. It's all soft rock from adult contemporary stations. Yuck! And the canned stuff is done so badly that it talks over itself.


I found a station out of Kalamazoo, 106.5, that's pretty good. It plays good rock, some soft 1970s stuff (I like Michael Martin Murphy's "Wildfire," if you must know) and a little stuff from the top of the charts today.


If you get a chance online, tune in to lakeshoreradio.net. It's done by the guys who used to be on the old WEVS out of Saugatuck. It plays about everything with a heavy lean toward 1950s-1960s stuff with lots of Beatles and Elvis.


Thought: I need an i-Pod so I can stop listening to radio!

1 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admit it, your favorite DJ was ... you. And my favorite would be ... me. Hence the popularity of the iPod and such devices.

WVAC - 10 watts of pure radio power! Wake up that hamster and broadcast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home