LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dashing through the snow



I've been a bit out of touch (but you knew that) since late January -- my apologies.


First, I've been impacted with some changes at work. I'm transitioning to the dayside and weekdays. I've been working the weekend shift for 17 years -- what will life be like when I don't work Saturdays?


I'm The Sentinel's News Team Leader. It's like the old city editor job I did about seven years ago or so. I work with reporters on news content for the print and online products. It's not really a promotion but a lateral move. Once all our changes are complete, I'll work Monday through Friday, but for now, I'm still working Saturdays.


Second, we've all been battling the weather. This has turned out to be a real winter this year. Lots of snow and ice and wind and snow and snow. It's made for longer commutes and more time inside.


Today is a good example. It was about 3 degrees this morning when I went out to knock down the snow drifts on the walkway and driveway. With the wind, the temperature was more like minus 500 degrees. I could only stay out about 20-25 minutes, even in full winter gear. I'll have to go out again soon to start the cars and re-shovel the driveway.


So, we haven't been able to walk along the river or wander the dunes and beach along Lake Michigan like past years.


Above are a few pics of this morning. In one, you can sort of see where I cleaned the end of the driveway. Note the road is white. We live on a state road which is usually kept clear. No gray pavement here! Note no cars. Very rare for a Sunday morning. Even churches cancelled services today.


Other stuff


Thanks to Geodude for his comment on the last blog. He's reading a book about a trek to the North Pole. Seems appropriate in this weather!


I'm still reading "Augustus." I'm a little disappointed -- it's a bit superficial and this soft-cover version I purchased must be an early run. It has lots of typos and misused words.


I enjoyed the Super Bowl last week. I was going to go to bed at half time (Tom Petty was uninspired), but thought I'd stick with the game a few more minutes. I'm glad I did. What a fantastic finish! Despite the constant references to the Giants defeat of the Bills, I still enjoyed watching Tom Brady and the Patriots become victims of their hubris. I love a Greek tragedy.


Thought: From "Welcome Back, Kotter," a joke in the taylor's shop -- Eurypides you buy-a-dees.

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a lateral move, but welcome back from the land of nocturnes!
As for the weather (the wind chill in NE Ohio now is -14, I will NOT live any further north), I suppose you could blame global warming - I mean global climate change - whatever it is now. What happened to good ol' acid rain, anyway? At least that kinda made sense.

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See here

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stray thought here -
Not just to give you a record 4 posts on one entry, even if 2 are ads -
Going back to the Ringo post of Jan. 8, do you think you could play that Kevin Bacon degrees of separation from actors game, but with Ringo degrees of separation from musicians?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home