LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Edge of the world


Thanks to Geodude and BL for sharing their gas prices. We're back up to $4.05 or more. I expect $5 by July 4. I'm just glad the Kia gets more than 30 miles per gallon ... even if I have to hunch down to fit in it.


Above is a photo of the Holland Harbor Lighthouse, also known as Big Red. I took a ride out to the south pier in Holland last weekend before all the big rain storms to enjoy the views.


I don't recall going to the lighthouse before and I enjoyed climbing all over the breakwater and watching the boats go in and out of the channel.


To get to the lighthouse, you have to check at the guard house to the cottage association then walk (in my case, ride) through narrow sidewalks that abutt the cottages, then down a dirt path that turns to loose sand before you reach the pier. I carried my bike through the sand, much to the amusement of the boaters sliding in and out of the channel.


More water


When I got back from Holland, the storms rolled in. Lots of flooding, 5-6 inches of rain in a few hours, roads collapsed with one washout killing two people. The basement flooded.


Elspeth was really freaked out by the storms. She was sobbing and wringing her hands. She really flipped when the tornado siren blew (it's a few blocks away) and we all went into the basement for the strong storms to pass. The kids and I slpet downtairs that night (me on the floor!). My back!


Alyssa is bothered by the thought of tornadoes and constantly assessed the situation. At one point, she spent 15 to 20 minutes trying to decide if a hurricane or tornado is worse (I told it's the former).


Thought: Here comes the sun ... we hope.

1 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to picture the 'athlete' that is you climbing about the breakwall...were you told that a Moosehead was lost between the rocks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home