LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Reading recap


I finished off H.G. Wells' "The Invisible Man" last week or so. I was not impressed.


The topic was fascinating and I enjoyed that Wells focused on the realistic problems of being invisible -- like not having clothes to wear and how food would assimilate into the body. I just didn't like the character development -- it was a bit thin.


Also, his narration style was bothersome, how it flipped from viewpoint to viewpoint. A bit condescending at times, too, how Wells made fun of the local folk in England.


A coworker agreed when I shared my dismay with the story. He summed it well when he said Wells doesn't translate well into the 21st century.


So, I again find myself between books. I stopped to read some more Browning and was drawn into "Bifurcation." I'm still pondering the poem, and the last lines say it best:


"Inscribe each tomb thus: then, some sage acquaint

The simple -- which holds the sinner, which holds saint!"


Also, I yanked out some old college anthologies because I felt a draw to T.S. Eliot.


I reread "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock." I can get my thoughts around that, especially the refrain:


"In the room the women come and go

Talking of Michelangelo."


Then I tried again with "The Waste Land." I still don't dig this one, though I've tried to fathom it for years. I think I'll put this one in with Ezra Pound.


Thought: April is the cruellest month, but February's a bitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home