LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Odyssey's end

I finished "The Odyssey" yesterday, rounding out my rehash of the classics.

I liked this best of "The Illiad" and "Aeneid," because of the depth. The story is told in part as remembrances and the other as "live" action. I had forgotten that the cyclops encounter and the slaughter of Helios' cattle were really just a small part of the work.

I still remember watching a multi-part interpretation of the work on a Canadian TV station back in the late 1970s. Even through the static from Toronto, it was a good story.

One reason I got to finish Homer's epic is because I had a nasty intestinal bug that kept me in the bathroom all Sunday and this morning. What else is there to do when you can't leave the pot but to read?

I actually called in sick today -- a rarity. Jayne was quite concerned with my problem as well as the fever and aches in the joints. I was pretty bad off with pains in all my joints, but especially my hands and knees this time. She even asked if I should go to the hospital. I declined.

But I'm better this afternoon after some medication, some food (finally, it stayed inside!) and a nice long afternoon nap.

Thought: I would have never made it back to Ithaca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home