LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, June 04, 2007

License to change


Michigan changed is basic vehicle license plate this year, so when Jayne renewed the registration on our fleet of cars, we had to change all the plates.


No biggie, of course, unless one of the plates has been on the car for 11 years and was rusted there. The metal was so corroded that chunks of what was once metal just dropped off as I worked to removed the plate.


I could not get that screw to come loose (and I know loose screws, I tell ya). I fought with that darn plate using all the weapons at my disposal, from WD-40 and screwdrivers to kicking and cursing (I use the latter a lot). As I was about to give up, a flash of genius hit me. When it was gone, I decided instead to use my crowbar in the trunk -- not to bash the plate, which is my nature, but to rip free that rusted screw.


It worked!


My last plate to change was on the Kia. Never having had a foreign car before, I didn't realize the plate is affixed differently. So, I showed up to Jayne's work (where the car was) to do a quick change, and found out the screwdrivers were useless. The Kia used bolts.


What a great idea! I was so impressed that the fact I was in white pants (it's after Memorial Day, so it's cool) for work and was standing in the middle of a parking lot with two orange-handled screwdrivers didn't bother me. Once I borrowed a wrench from a friend at the college, those bolts just twisted easily off, unlike the screws. Those Korean automakers sure know how to make a guy's day.


When I was done with that, I happily wiped my hands on my pants and ... Oh, yes. I was wearing white pants. Well, the rust and dirt just made them look more, well, stylish.


So, I have three rusted, useless license plates, above.


Quick dinner note


Jayne, myself and the kids had a nice afternoon at a friend's house in Grand Rapids Sunday. Nothing spectacular about that, except this is the family that, each time we try to meet, something happens at my work that calls me away. Last time, it was a coworker who called in sick so I had to rush in to cover.


This time? Nothing! The curse is broken.


Thought: Maybe it's the new license plates that are the source of this magical power?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home