LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day


Above is Alyssa with her friend Kirsten at the Saugatuck Memorial Day parade. The Brownies in my wife's group got to ride in the back of a vintage Ford puckup for the parade. They had a blast.


Elspeth walked with her Scout friends, tossing candy to the spectators.


After the Saugatuck parade (it started at 9 a.m.), the entire parade, including Scouts, bands and flag carriers, headed across the Kalamazoo River to Douglas to repeat the entire event. I call it a quaint local tradition.


It was great day -- in the 70s, a gentle breeze. We couldn't have asked for better weather.


If you look closely at Alyssa's picture, she has a yellow tint about her. Don't worry. It's not jaundice. It's my bicycle jersey glowing in the morning sun. The shirt is flourescent yellow so motorists can better see me and run me down on their first try and not waste gas on a second run. Hey, with gas at $3.50 a gallon, I want to help them out.


I rode my bike to the parade while Jayne drove the kids. I rode back down 66th Street and the Pioneer Monument, then east on 122nd Avenue by the vineyards and Hutchins Lake. The lake was already full of boats and waterskiers by 11 a.m.


Now, I'm taking a break after spending part of the afternoon at the playground with the kids. I'm toast. I just hope they'll fall asleep early tonight.


Thought: Sweet dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home