LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Friday, May 18, 2007

It's been 17 years

Seventeen years ago, it was a Friday like today. Kind of sunny but windy. Still a nice day for a wedding. A nice day for one of the best things to happen in my life.

Jayne and I exchanged our vows in front of family and friends at the Meijer banquet facility in Grand Rapids. I refused to get married in a church (I still carry my distrust of regimented Christianity), so we chose a spot where our family and friends could enjoy the ceremony and not drive all over West Michigan to enjoy the party afterward.

We did have a minister -- the Rev. Dave Persons. I grew up with Pastor Dave as my spiritual guide as well as my bicycle tour leader. He always understood my questioning personality and fostered in me a spirituality that is my own. Also, Pastor Dave went to seminary in Grand Rapids so he had a chance to visit his old stomping grounds.

What I remember most of the wedding day is Jayne singing the Bread song "If" as her friend strummed the guitar. Jayne has a beautiful voice and there wasn't a dry eye in the house! I dedicated the John Lennon song "Woman" to her. Lucky for the crowd, I stuck with the studio recording and didn't try to sing myself.

Thanks

Every May 18, I thank Jayne for taking me into her life and sharing her love with me despite my many shortcomings (she wanted to wed a journalist for the easy life of luxury); I thank friends and family for guiding me (often kicking and screaming) through life; I thank Pastor Dave for his gentle hand and solid laughter (I know the pureness of Christ's laughter is in his honesty!); and I thank the three friends who came from all over the country to stand with me as witnesses to love (thanks Peter Lee, Jeff Rachlinski and best man Doug Brooks) and who slept in a three room apartment with at least seven other people, lots of beer and snoring, one tiny bathroom and confused little kitty.

Thought: Thanks!

1 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, jim. It could not possibly be 17 years. I remember your wedding as if it were only a few days ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home