LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Things not to talk about

I try not to dicuss certain topics with my wife that I know we disagree on. It's not keeping secrets. It's just a matter of not stirring up the pot when we know neither of us will change our minds, so why do it?

Well, I disregarded this twice in the last few days, but I do love to talk about these topics.

Religion

First, I blathered on about religion. Never a good idea. I was so angered by something (I think it was the pope's ruling on unbaptized children and limbo -- talk about stupidity!) that I started on my tired tirade about Christianity.

What I dislike about Christianity (and Judaism and Islam, too) is that the religion says there's only one way to spiritual enlightenment -- their way. For Christians, it's Jesus or bust. No room for anything else.

The worst part is that Christians insist on spreading their word and steamrolling other cultures and beliefs. I've often said that the many "evangelical" trips local churches make are just religious imperialism. I also compare Christianity to the Borg from "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

My thought is that each person finds his or her own way to spiritual enlightment, and this may mean having no formal god at all. You can even find truth (which is equal to salvation) through mathematics and science.

Politics

So, to make things worse, we also discussed politics, of sorts, yesterday. Never a good thing.

My wife commented on how Michigan seems to focus too much on the auto industry and should instead look at supporting tourism as a major industry and as a means to lift the state out of its recession. She has lots of good points, and tourism is important (look at Saugatuck!) but I just can't see tourism replacing auto manufacturing as the mainstay of a thriving Michigan.

First, most tourism takes place about seven months out of the year. We say we can enjoy winter, but few people are driving all over the state in blizzards and ice storms to spend cash on a week's vacation. That explains why spring breaks are taken in Florida.

Second, tourism takes place in limited areas. An auto plant can plop anywhere, and its support businesses (parts makers, suppliers) then follow. The shores of Lake Michigan are finite and mostly in private hands. And, once you've seen a Dutch windmill, why go back again?

Third, workers in tourism industries don't make a lot of cash. The best thing about manufacturing (autos or steel or whatever) is that unions fought and got a share of the massive profits involved. This not only democratized (and passified) workers, but it also dumped wealth into the society allowing consumerism to flourish. That's why working class Americans could have a summer cottage, a boat, two or three cars.

Tourism jobs don't pay well and don't have good health benefits and retirement plans. If they did, the workers themselves couldn't afford to visit these places!

So, I act like I know everything and we maintain our disagreements and then agree that it's better to watch "Family Guy" than discuss economics.

Thought: As Peter said when he discovered static electricity: "I am Jesus. Kneel before your lord." ZAP!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home