LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The post office

We do not have a mailbox in the traditional suburban sense.

We have a box at the post office (thus, a post office box). When we first moved here, the city did not allow folks to have mailboxes on their property. That has long since changed, but we've kept the post office box.

Why? Well, I'm lazy to begin with. Changing something takes effort. But let me tell you about my experience at the post office yesterday that may help explain:

I went into the post office to pick up a package. As I waited, I stood behind Jerry. He taught the class on the Bhagava-Gita I took a year or so ago. It was nice to chat with him. Behind me was Roger, the UPS delivery man. Jayne and I know Roger and his wife, Dawn, from about 15 years ago or so. We all chatted as we waited.

When it was my turn at the counter, the post master smiled, asked me how I was doing today and if I have had a chance to go bike riding over the last few days. As he got the packages -- I didn't have to tell him my name or address -- we talked about the weather and a few other things.

So, I got my mail and some pleasasnt conversation. I normally wouldn't get the latter if I had a box at the curb of my sidewalk.

Thought: And the post office is about three blocks from my door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home