LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Short readings


I'm still a reader in search of a book, but, as usual, I'm picking a few short things to pass the time until I settle on a longer book.


I just reread "Infantry Aces of the Reich" by Gordon Williamson. It's a collection of vignettes about infantry soldiers (regular army and SS) who won the Iron Cross in World War II.


It's a little dry. More fact than flair, really.


I have it in my collection because I find the study of survival, guilt and gallantry among the "losers" of war to be fascinating. The men in Williamson's book were on the losing side of the war, and some of them served in brutal units, but the objective level of their accomplishments and heroics rise above nations.


I again recommend Guy Sajer's "The Forgotten Soldier" as a powerful look at this situation and, of course, "All Quiet on the Western Front." I also enjoyed "The Kaiser's Pirates," stories about World War I merchant raisers.


More reading


Also, I've been passing time reading more of Shakespeare's sonnets.


I found Sonnet 121, which seemed relevant to me with what is going on in my professional life, that having people think ill of me when it is not true is truly hurtful, more so than if I was actually evil:


1. 'Tis better to be vile than vile esteemed,

2. When not to be receives reproach of being;

3. And the just pleasure lost, which is so deemed

4. Not by our feeling, but by others' seeing:

5. For why should others' false adulterate eyes

6. Give salutation to my sportive blood?

7. Or on my frailties why are frailer spies,

8. Which in their wills count bad what I think good?

9. No, I am that I am, and they that level

10. At my abuses reckon up their own:

11. I may be straight though they themselves be bevel;

12. By their rank thoughts, my deeds must not be shown;

13. Unless this general evil they maintain,

14. All men are bad and in their badness reign.


Thought: Who can follow Shakespeare?

1 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're looking for something different, you might want to read Walter Isaacson's bestseller, Benjamin Franklin An American Life. I read this book on a whim last year. I'm glad I did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home