LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Vortex

I've decided to start calling my workplace The Vortex because it sucks in all the logic, common sense and creative enthusiam into a giant black hole.

Now, I am lucky to have a job and am grateful for it, as I say over and over, especially after Ann Arbor decided to shut down its priont edition, fire all its workers and go online only. I must say, however, just because I'm lucky to have a job doesn't mean I can't say I'm happy with it. It's like being in a bad relationship -- saying you're happy to be with someone even when he or she is abusive or self-destructive seems odd to me. That's where I'm coming from.

Anyway, what inspired The Vortex label was an e-mail sent to me last week in which I was named the new agriculture reporter! I was immediately assigned to drive 50 miles away to a six-hour trade conference on fruit handling. Do you hear the sucking sound?

Also, I was told by my boss that I don't know how to write business stories (what do you think agriculture is!) and that's a reason why I was removed from my job and was not considered eligible for the newly created assistant editor position (my old job!). The Vortex.

There are so many more examples of the giant sucking sound, but I'll save those for later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home