LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Just showing up

Woody Allen said 80 percent of success is just showing up.

I think that sums up my career (not that it's a success) and why I will be removed from my job, maybe by December.

I was hired at the paper as the weekend editor, a job few people sought, because there were only two candidates. The then-editor said she would never, ever hire the other one, so I got the job by default, not ability.

I moved to the night desk because no one stepped up to take the job. I had several reasons for doing it, but I got it because I showed up, not ability.

When I finally got the job I wanted and liked because I happen to be in the building at the time, I was happy. Then, after about six months, a new boss told me how bad at it I am, what a rotten leader and terrible example I am (yes, that's what I was told). I was demoted, told to leave the office and work from home so I was out of sight. I have the Saugatuck reporting job not because of ability but because I live in the area -- I show up in the community by default. If I lived in Holland Township, I would have been let go.

Now, I'm being told to work more out of the Allegan office, even farther away and out of sight than my home.

So, I'm not allowed to even show up anymore!

Woody Allen is right on. People I used to work with seldom speak to me, I hear many bad things about myself from my superiors, when they even bother to communicate with me. I should be laid off or fired by December, maybe into the first quarter of 2010, depending on the economy. Sooner is always a possibility too because I am old and not part of the in crowd.

With the loss of my bike column, my name will fade from public view pretty fast. I'll be "just another reporter," so the uniqueness of me showing up will be gone.

I have been marginalized to the point of professional nonexistence.

2 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd start looking for another job NOW, and if you get one, tell the newspaper to go line a bird cage.

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Geodude said...

Perhaps it is time to work for an online publication, as newspapers die out.
Maybe start your own.

Or become a professional cat pill giver on the side. I'd recommend a chain mail suit.

"Man, those Samoans are a surly bunch."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home