LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Curse is Broken


I finally participated in my first Holland Hundred bicycle tour.


Hooray!


I've been trying to participate in this event for years, but work and injury prevented me. So, I made it my quest this year to complete the 36-mile portion of the ride. And I did it Saturday.


The ride lived up to everything I'd heard about it. The scenery was fantastic, the food at the rest stops superb but, most importantly, the people were great.


We started off before 7 a.m. in the parking lot of Holland Christian High School and it seemed like one giant family reunion (not the bad ones where married cousins exchange stories about meth, but the good ones). Folks of all abilities laughed and encouraged each other.


I saw a few people I knew, but, I must admit, everyone kind of looks the same in a helmet, Spandex and sunglasses. I was glad many of them looked like me -- flabby and frazzled.


The picture above is of some of the people I crossed the Kalamazoo River with on the chain ferry in Saugatuck. They were verbose and funny. Many of them were making good-natured jokes with the ferry captain (she's in the back of the photo with the orange hat). As the ferry pulled away from the dock, a lone rider with long blonde hair and black Spandex appeard on the shore. The ferry wouldn't return for her because it was full, but several of the gentlemen protested because that rider "was really good looking."


Anyway, jocularities aside, it was a great ride. Next year, I'll hit the 67-mile route (100-k) and see what happens.


Thought: The ride has helped keep my mind off my cable TV issues -- more on that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home