LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Book 'em, Dan-o

I see the makers of Sesame Street are under fire for marketing a video to children under 2 years old. Experts say children that young shouldn't be watching TV at all and that Sesame Street is out to make a buck.

Yes on both counts, but, as my mom says, let's be real.

First, I don't mind that The Children's Television Workshop folks will be making money. If it goes back to the good programming on "Sesame Street," then that's OK. I have some qualms with the TV show, but I'm glad my kids watched it. I watched it, too, and don't think I'm the worse for it.

Second, I agree that kids, especially between birth and 2, should not be exposed to TV, but you really can't stop it. The TV in this house is on for a good chunk of the day (it could be The Weather Channel, CNN, "All My Children" or Nickeloldeon), and if a young Sesame Street video allows me to bond with a 1-year-old while we sit together in the chair, that's cool.

When Elspeth was that young, I sat with her while I watched "Hawaii Five-O" for an hour. We also watched "Columbo" together too while I held her and she relaxed. No wonder her first words were, "Book 'em, Dan-o" and "Just one more thing. ..."

I use discretion with the kids when I watch TV. We were not watching overly violent or sexual shows when they were younger, and we don't today. I think the "experts" ought to come out of their ivory towers and walk into the world of overly stressed, over-worked parents who struggle in reality, not theory, every day.

More bookin' 'em

I finished reading my latest book, "The Punic Wars," by Adrian Goldsworthy. Good read. Though he broke the wars into the three, he didn't go chronologically from battle to battle. Instead, he took trends and developments and discussed them within each conflict. Hey, who doesn't like 30 pages on Roman shipbuilding and the how quinqueremes were rowed?

I find the Roman Republic and its demise fascinating. Some might say there are lessons to be learned there for present day America. Some might.

Right after I finished Goldsworthy's book, I read a children's book I got for the girls called "Who Were The Beatles?" I couldn't resist picking it up at the school book fair a few weeks back. It's designed for an elementary student and is pretty accurate. It now has my stamp of approval and I'll work in to the Beatles curriculum for the kids.

Next book for me?

I pulled out Trotsky's "History of the Russian Revolution." I haven't read it since college. I need cheering up.

Thought: Permanent Revolution? I think that involves TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home