LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Simpsons who?

I heard the other day that "The Simpsons" has been renewed for two more years. My first reaction -- What's the point?

I was a huge "Simpsons" fan years ago. I was first turned off by the early seasons' juvenile animation, but once I got past that, I was hooked. The show was intellectual at one level, spiritual on another and gross on so many more. And it was funny.

I have my favorite episodes -- The one with Ringo and the naked Mr. Burns picture, the B Sharps, Mr. Plow, Carl and the hair replacement drugs and, of course, the Halloween specials. They all stand out.

So, I don't know when the show jumped the shark. I think it was when more and more celebrities started showing up (the Paul McCartney episode sticks in my mind as a particularly bad one) and the plots became less grounded in "everyman" experiences (shopping at the Try and Save, having a crush on a co-worker, life as an elementary student). I tried watching a new episode this season, but it had an aftertaste of an episode from a previous season -- like stale beer, really -- and I don't think I laughed once.

To the creators of "The Simpsons," I ask: Won't you please let it die? There is no dignity in staying around too long. Yuo guys are rich enough. Step aside, Homer, and let your more nasty and funnier successor step in from "The Family Guy."

Thought: D'oh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home