LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Why I hate the Olympics


I've been catching some heat at work because I am not a fan of the Olympics. It's true. In fact, I hate the Olympics even more than baseball!


To boil it down: The Olympics is all about ego. The winners kiss their medals. Fans count the number of medals won. And people cheer for a nation, just like an extension of war.


I read an article about what the U.S. medal winners do with their trophies. People sleep with them, hug them, show them off, wave them in the faces of others. All so wrong.


The Olympics is different than professional sports. The NFL and the Tour de France, for example, do not pretend to be anything but money-making operations for entertainment purposes. That's OK with me.


Real competition


So, in place of watching the Olympics, I've been watching the cartoon "Total Drama Island" with the girls. It's a take-off of reality shows with two teams on an island trying to make it through challenges. It's like the Olympics, but this is more real.


A shot of the cartoon teams is above.


My favorites? Owen and Gwen. It must be the four-letter w-name thing.


Movie night


Lastly: Jayne and I watched the movie "The Business of Fancy Dancing." It's a look at a Native American who leaves his reservation for the big city of Seattle and becomes famous writing poetry about his reservation experiences. The people back on the reservation are torn over his "Indian-ness" and his success in the white world. They all meet over a friend's funeral.


It's often surreal and heavily symbolic. Throw in the main character's homosexuality and you've got quite a challenging flick. Jayne likened parts of it to "Fiddler on the Roof."


It's by the same folks who made "Smoke Signals," so you get the idea. You won't feel good after watching the film.

1 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think it was possible that anyone could hate the Olympics more than I do. Especially the Summer Olympics.

I do admit that I watched the last two innings of the softball final. I coulnd't stop myself from tuning in - I love softball. Too bad the U.S. lost. C'est la vie.

BL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home