LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Misc. Sunday stuff

Jayne and I spent much of Sunday doing holiday shopping. I dislike shopping, but I enjoy spending time with my wife. Her mom had the kids, so we had the afternoon to hit some stores.

We had a late lunch at Panera Bread in Holland. I had never eaten there before. Food's OK. The soup was good. I was just happy to sit with my wife and chat a bit.

I laughed at all the people at the restaurant, though. All these young, hip kids with their laptops and other wireless devices just made me smile. They weren't talking to each other even though they sat at the same tables.

The only folks talking were two kids studying from books (yes, books! They still make those!) and old people like us.

We're really a sick society, but I think we all knew that.

Another example

What really highlighted this twisted world we live in was not the kids working on computers oblivious to the world around them, but the reaction in Michigan to the death of Bo Schembechler, the former University of Michigan football coach.

Schembechler's death was a huge deal, sparking complete front page coverage, special newspaper sections and lead TV coverage.

I asked people what the big deal was. The answer: He was a football coach with a great record.

Yeah, I said, but what else did he do?

He was a football coach.

Yeah, I get that. What else did he do?

Football.

OK, so I beat a dead horse (no pun intended), but here's my point. The man deserved praise, but he was just a football coach. Let's put this in perspective. He's not remembered for donations to charity, nor longterm committments to disease research or initiatives to end poverty or racism, and he isn't remembered for fostering spiritual growth. He coached a football team.

A cynical, petty, small-minded, bitter, lonely, old person at my work commented that Bo Schembechler did more than "my hero, what's his name" ever could. This person was referring to Lance Armstrong.

First, I don't believe in heroes, but let's think this over for a second.

True, Armstrong will be remembered for his Tour de France wins, but more so for overcoming a deadly cancer that invaded his body, his defeat of that cancer, and his ability to come back and win the most grueling atheltic competition in the world, But he'll really be remembered for using that success to start a foundation that helps cancer research and cancer victims.

I thought of a few others who rise above being a football coach:

John Lennon? True, a rock and roll great, but what makes him rise above just being an entertainer was his devotion to peace and his willingness to battle for that ideal in some groundbreaking ways.

George Harrison? Again, a musical giant, but more importantly, his raising spiritual awareness and putting a conscience in rock music through the Concert for the Bangladesh (the first of a long line of these events using pop culture to benefit victims) and his Material World Foundation that helps impoverished people around the globe.

Princess Diana? Her dedication to land mine eradication is inspirational and rises above the other trappings of her life.

Jimmy Carter? Not dead yet, but his success is not his presidency. He hasn't rested on that Oval Office time like Ronald Reagan, the elder Bush or Gerald Ford. Carter has made Habitat for Humanity into a true force that benefits thousands of people.

Bo Schembechler? He was a football coach.

Thought: Hike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home