LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

All wet

I was going to ride my bike today no matter what the weather, so I hit the road early in a steady rain.

I don't mind riding in the rain, as long as it's not 40 degrees with a strong north wind. Today, it was mid-60s with no breeze to speak of. Perfect.

A few tips for riding in rain:

-- Deflate the tires a bit. This puts more rubber on the road for traction. I normally ride on 120 psi, but today I was probably about 90 psi.

-- Give more time for braking. The water and dirt on the rims decreases the ability to stop.

-- Make sure you have a visor on your helmet. The drops coming off it can be fun to watch, but more importantly it keeps the steady rain off the eyes and cuts down on having to clean the glasses!

-- Clean the bike after. Wipe it down and lubricate the crank to get the dirt out. (This, by the way, is my afternoon chore today)

-- Enjoy it.

Really. Enjoy the rain. Let the sound of your tires sloshing on the pavement be the music in your ears. Watch the droplets fly off the front tire. Or watch your own reflection on the pavement below you as you pedal along.

I became keenly aware of the high-tension wires that crisscrossed my route. They hiss in the rain. Kind of creepy.

I didn't wear any special rain gear because I don't mind getting wet on a day like today. I kept thinking of Paul McCartney's "Mamonia" ("You've never felt the rain my friend until you've felt the rain running down your back") as I slogged along.

Also, I think of the Everly Brothers -- "I do my crying in the rain." Always good advice.

Thought: A cup of hot coffee when you get home takes the chill off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home