LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Sleep

First: I changed a setting on this blog so you should be able to respond to entries even when you are not a member of this blog site. I had the wrong button clicked that cut off non-member comments. So, go for it!

Zzzzz

Now, I'll tell you that I normally have no trouble sleeping. In fact, I have trouble staying awake. Since I switched to nights at work, I've been falling asleep in the middle of the day, in my car, at the playground with the kids. You name it. My head hits the pillow in my bed and I'm asleep within 45 seconds. Yep. I timed it.

But last night, I could not sleep. This insomnia was not due to any internal stress, but external noise.

First, our neighbor's dog kept barking well past 11 p.m. This barking problem seems to come with the house.

When we moved in, the neighbors at that time had two dogs who barked all night and day. Then, they moved out and the new family had two dogs who fought and barked all night. The outdoor dog run next door is under our bedroom window. Now, the latest residents not only have one dog of their own who barks at the drop of a leaf, but they dog-sit their friends' dogs who like to yip and growl.

Second, one of the neighborhood's vagrant cats had a fight with something, probably a possum, sometime pretty late. The sound of a howling cat really puts me in the mood for dreamland.

Third, our old, blind cat started meowing. Since we got wooden floors, the howl echoes like the cat's in a cavern.

Fourth, as dawn slowly approached, a skunk somewhere nearby let out its stench for all the world to enjoy. Nothing says good morning like that.

Come daybreak, the construction work down the road commenced. The city is improving roads leading to the new school. Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep lulls me to sleep every time.

Lastly, about 7 a.m., my eldest daughter came in to tell me that the PBS show "Arthur" was on and that's I'd better get up if I wanted to watch it.

So, I begin another 12-hour shift at work wide awake and rested to take on my life.

Thought: Please don't wake me. Please don't shake me. Leave me where I am. I'm only sleeping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home