LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Another ride

Not to put you to sleep or anything, but I got in another great ride today. It was short -- about 20 miles again -- but I did my favorite loop: Around Hutchins Lake to the lakeshore to Saugatuck.

Lots of people out this morning walking around the water.

I stopped at the Saugatuck-Douglas museum with the intent of spending some time with the indoor exhibits, but the doors didn't open until noon. I got there about 11 a.m.

I took in the outdoor exhibits explaining the geography and history of the Kalamazoo River area. I sat down by the river with all the intentions in the world of just watching the ducks and listening to the fish jump, but the tourists had other ideas.

A couple set up their barbecue nearby and decided to play their radio so all of West Michigan could hear it. Then they decided to share the lovely aroma of their cigarettes with nature. That was enough to drive me away.

On the way back, I rode by the park across from St. Peters Catholic Church in Douglas. It's a 12-stations-of-the-cross deal with a crucified Jesus suffering at every turn of the walkway. Ick. Why must people focus on the pain of Jesus and not the words? That's one of the things that turned me away from Christianity -- this morbid obsession with physical suffering that Mel Gibson seems to find so important. That and the entire "I'm the only way to heaven" bit that mocks millions of spiritually aware people.

What also bothers me about the park is a sign saying it's private property and all non-St. Peters people should stay off the damn sidewalk. Now that's true Christianity.

Thought: Maybe I should take a different route on my next ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home