LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Up the right alley

The family plans for Sunday changed a bit. The folks we were going up to the Grand Rapids area to meet were feeling ill, so our afternoon was suddenly open.

The kids had plenty of suggestions, none of which involved me lounging about the house watching football or hitting the road in my bike. I was crushed.

Jayne thought bowling (not boweling, as Mr. Burns on "The Simpsons" once said) would be fun. I had my doubts but agreed.

I'm not much of a bowling fan. I have memories of crowded, smoke-filled places with obnoxious people. My mother bowled weekly, and my sisters also participated in leagues. I avoided this, but would bowl for fun with others but not on my own initiative.

Anyway, Sunday bowling at the Holland Bowling Center at Ninth and College was a pleasant time. It is a no-smoking facility -- a huge plus for me and my lungs -- and there were only two other lanes being used at the time. Those folks finished up quick when we arrived -- two young kids make more noise than a bunch of drunken Pin Pals -- and we had the place to ourselves.

The girls enjoyed it, as did Jayne. Since we had the rails put up along the gutters, Elspeth and Alyssa would hit something each time they rolled. I took advantage of the guides as well and even got a strike. Jayne is a good bowler without the rails to help.

After the game, we went to get ice cream and walked about Holland, admiring all the closed stores. It was Sunday, remember.

Thought: How often can you say, "I've got 14-pound balls" and not get slapped?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home