LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Quick ride

I finally got back out on my bike today. Just a short ride -- 12 miles -- to nowhere in particular. Just around the countryside.

I was planning to get a short ride in yesterday, but I accidentally damaged the valve on my rear tire as I was inflating it. I've done that before. I dislike these Presta valves. They're delicate compared to the standard ones. Dang Europeans and their flimsy stems. (Oh, what I said!)

I went to change the tire but I could not get off the tire itself. I've done this before but I just could not do it then. It's hell getting old and my joints were bothering me because of the weather. I gave up and took it to the bike shop.

Todd at Lakeshore Cycle on Riley knows me well and quickly changed the tire. I used a gift certificate my wife got me for my birthday.

Jayne and I then went for lunch at The Good Earth in Holland. It's a sandwich shop with a conscience, but it's also where young and hip people go. Boy, we were out of place.

After Jayne helped with the horse riding for Elspeth's Girl Scout troop, Jayne and I went to dinner in Saugatuck. We wanted Marro's, but it's on limited hours after Labor Day. We ended up at Chequers on my insistence because I whined for Guiness on tap. Mmm. Stout.

We capped off the night with a walk around Saugatuck and some candy apples from Kilwin's.

Thought: Getting older does have some benefits ... but I've forgotten them already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home