LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Getting old

I've been working for the same company for more than 15 years. I like to amuse myself by thinking that my brain is sharper than ever, and tempered by experience, I'm a formidable manager and a good worker.

It seems when you get old, you have these delusions.

I've felt the pressure recently from my "new" coworkers and bosses that I'm just old. My experience counts for nothing because I'm treated like a rambling old man, like Gramdpa Simpson. I can hear myself saying at meetings, "I wore an onion on my belt back then, because it was the style of the day. ..."

I've personally treated experience and age with respect, and ability that often comes with that battle-hardened, day-to-day survival with an awe. To keep doing well takes mental flexibility, and just because your age increases, well, I've never thought that meant your mind and creativity decreases.

Such delusions.

Thought: What a drag it is getting old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home