LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Beatle moment

There are key events in the lives of your children you remember -- first steps, first words, first day of school, first Beatles moment.

I picked up my youngest daughter from school and had left a CD -- "Rubber Soul" -- playing. I usually just play the radio on some harmless adult contemporary station because I want to avoid one of those awkward parental moments: "Daddy, who's Polythene Pam and what are jackboots?"

I thought "Rubber Soul" had few references I couldn't explain away, so I left it running. Here's the conversation in the car:

-- "Dad, is that The Beatles?"

-- "Yes, honey."

-- "Dad, why do you like The Beatles?"

-- Pause. Do I say it's the revolutionary impact on music, culture and politics? That four guys with no formal training could change the world? That they really rock? No. "Because, honey, their music makes us all feel happy."

-- "Dad, what's your favorite Beatles song?"

-- Pause because my favorite song isn't about happiness. "They all make me feel happy."

-- "Dad?"

-- Yes?"

-- "Could you turn off The Beatles and put on the radio?"

-- "Yes, honey."

Thought: Get a dose of her in jackboot and kilt. She's killer diller when she's dressed to the hilt. She's the kind of a girl who makes the News of the World. Yes, you could say she was attractivley built.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home