LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Cheering up

One of my blog readers complained that things were getting a little depressing around here. Well, here's a few nuggets to bring some cheer into our lives:

-- We had some heavy snow Friday night into Saturday morning. We got 7-8 inches overnight. The drive home was a challenge because the roads hadn't been plowed, some of them were just a two-track, so I had to ease over everytime I saw oncoming traffic and toward the end, there were no tire tracks to follow at all. I was blazing the trail home through the snow in my Corsica through zero-visibility snow. I was sick with a fever and cough and did not look forward to shoveling the driveway before work later that day.

I got home about 2 a.m. and had to be back at work at 10 a.m. A typical shift. So, when I rolled out of bed before 8 a.m. with visions of cough medicine and Advil dancing in my head, I dreaded having to clear the walk and end of the driveway so I could get to work.

Hooray! One of my neighbors had used his tractor to clear the end of the driveway! John Joynson had even cleared the walkway for us! Thank you! This bit of neighborliness made the day brighter.

-- I mentioned earlier that Elspeth had broken her glasses. We took them to the eye doctor (Dr. Annis) in Douglas for repairs. The frames had to be sent to California to be fixed and arrived back here on a Friday. The eye doctor's office was closed that day.

Despite being closed, the secretary went into the office, got the glasses from the deliveryman then drove over to the elementary school. She called Elspeth to the school's office then made sure the repaired glasses fit her properly. No extra charge.

Wow! Now that's service.

Both actions are much appreciated and two small examples of why the Fennville area is a great place to live.

Thought: It could be worse. It could be raining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home