LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Incredible "Incredibles"

Last night was a family movie night around our house and, for a change, I chose the movie. No "My Little Pony" or "Care Bears" this time. I picked "The Incredibles."

This has quickly become one of my favorite Disney films, though nothing has yet to replace "Little Mermaid."

What I like about "The Incredibles" is the many levels the film works on. My kids like it because it's visually exciting. I like the graphics, the mix of 1950s-style industrialism (who lifts locomotives but the old Superman?) and current sci-fi feel (pass cards for security, a monorail and multi-stage rockets).

The humor is a hoot. I love the argument Frozone has with his wife, let alone the entire blacksploitation humor of Frozone himself! Once I picked up on "Fro" as "afro" and the whole "cool" thing, I just laughed. Edna is hilarious and important as the force needed to push Helen into seeking her husband. And, of course, the "No capes!" is classic.

The characters

But it's the symbolism that fascinates me. The film opens with interviews of the superheroes. Mr. Incredible talks about just living a normal life, but, come to find out, he hates the average life. He says he works alone (thus the "I" in Incredible) but needs to have others' help. Elastigirl talks about being in charge and taking action, but later she is the passive housewife. And, of course, she needs to be "more flexible."

The kids? Violet (as in shrinking Violet) hides behind her hair and uses her invisibility to shrink from attention, but realizes later to be outgoing. I like how she changes her hair, showing her confidence. She also becomes more aggressive with her force field, using it not only as defense but also actively. Dash puts his frustration into pranks, but later learns to control his energy because he knows that, undisciplined, he can hurt himself and others.

And Syndrome? He warps Mr. Incredible's words of "Be true to yourself" into a megalomaniac thing. He is driven by revenge and hatred, leading to his destruction, while the Incredibles are driven by love and dedication to family. Syndrome uses Mirage as a tool to an end (there's obviously a relationship between the two), while Mr. Incredible learns to work with his family and balance the fear of losing them with the reality of their unique abilities. Also, Syndrome is of Mr. Incredible's own creation. Mr. Incredible was too selfish at the time to see Buddy's needs and brushed him aside.

There's some sexual energy throughout the film that the kids don't catch ... yet, and the scene where Helen's plane is attacked by missiles is intense and emotional.

There is a hint of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" here when Syndrome shares his master plan of making everybody super so no one is really super, and that bothers me, but this movie is not a political blue print. It's entertainment.

I still enjoy "Finding Nemo" ( a good film about a dad and child relationship), love "Toy Story" and "Toy Story II" (though Jessie's song still makes me cry!) and rank "Aladdin," "Sleeping Beauty" and "Cinderella" high on my list, but the symbols in "The Incredibles" seem to be the deepest Disney has offered as of late.

Thought: Act Naturally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home