LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

This, that and the other things

Here's a few things worth catching up on:

-- Jayne and I are back in Spanish class. This is our second semester of the intense program. In class, we must speak only Spanish. Following the instructor takes some getting used to.

-- Elspeth broke her glasses earlier this week. She was at the dinner table and started to pull them off, then SNAP. She was in a panic even though it wasn't her fault. I think she saw the scene in "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie says the worst thing that can happen to a kid is to break his glasses. Amen.

-- Jayne's car has been in the repair shop all week to fix a damaged fender. Something smacked it pretty good, leaving a nasty scar. We got the car back yesterday. I thought we would do fine down one car, but I was wrong. With the kids in school (they don't take a bus because we're "schools of choice," so we must drive them) and Jayne and I on different work schedules, it was taxing getting around. There is no public transport in Allegan County. This was a good practice and a reality check because I was hoping to get rid of one of the vehicles and save an insurance payment.

-- I'm still dealing with my internal disappointment of not getting the promotion I (stupidly) expected at work. The announcement came last week. I won't bore you, or risk the legal action, that would come with relating the months-long episode. Someday I'll share, but not now. My ego won't let me see clearly yet. Anyway, this ties in to the car thing.

I was putting the cart before the horse with this promotion, thinking I could be on the day shift and off weekends for the first time in 15 years. This would have allowed us to drop one car because Jayne and I would be on comparable schedules and could share rides. Also, in May through September, I could bike ride to work. This truly excited me because I've always wanted to have this option. Now I could ride to work, but riding home at 1 a.m.? No thanks. It's dangerous enough in a car.

Thought: Work done with anxiety about results is far inferior to work done without such anxiety, in the calm of self-surrender. Seek refuge in the knowledge of Brahman. They who work selfishly for results are miserable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home