LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Seasons greetings


We got our first big snow the other day -- about 10-12 inches of lake effect. Above is a photo today of what's left. Note the leaves on top of the snow and that we still have our porch chairs and table out. It was about 70 degrees just a week before.


The snow was annoying, but not unexpected. One of the reporters I was sending out to cover the snow story didn't like it, said she wouldn't go out in it because the snow was "life threatening."


I had to use all my strength not to scream. I was driving in it, saw cars spin out and I slid myself through a nasty curve on Seventh Street in Holland, but "life threatening"? Who said journalists have tough skins!


Auto bailout


What is threatening is the auto bailout talk.


I don't know where I stand on this because I don't think the owners of GM, Ford or Chrysler should be rewarded for their excesses (like bank and credit company owners have been), but if GM goes under, that means all the auto suppliers will either die or cut thousands of jobs here in West Michigan, which means store owners, restaurants and newspapers will either die along with them or make massive cuts.


I lived through this in Buffalo and don't want to see it happen again.

1 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forget which Rep or Sen said it best, and I don't remember the direct quote, I mean what reporter would, but....he commented on how we were all too eager to bail out the white-collar executives with bank accounts that are still overflowing, but we're reluctant to help the Big 3 that employ the blue-collar worker, the very people who were urged to spend after 9/11 and the economic stimulus and the other crap. Poetic, I tell you, poetic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home