LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Books and politics


I have some time off this week and I'm spending it at home. The kids are in school and we have no money to travel, so here I sit.


Not that it matters. We're all a bit under the weather. Jayne is home sick today with nausea; Jayne's mom is in bed with a cold; the kids have the sniffles (but they can still go to school!); and I'm recovering from a nasty cold.


Of books and politics


I picked up a biography of John Reed for my holiday pleasure. That's his picture at the top of the blog. He's a reason I went into journalism and studied Russian. Look where it got him! And me!


Jayne and I were discussing the presidential election the other day and the topic of undecided voters came up. We disagree on this, but I can't believe someone could be undecided. These two candidates have been in the news for months and John McCain was part of the Keating debacle and the last two presidential races, so how can anyone not know where they stand?


I guess I classify undecided voters as typically American. They're like shoppers: They are not loyal to any brand or store and just want what benefits them in the short term. Thus, instead of buying from Sears, they're waiting to see if Target or Walmart has a better deal, then on Nov. 4 they lay their money (or their credit cards) down.


My last pithy political statement: Why does the media paint women voters as fickle and superficial? The talk of the impact of Palin on Clinton supporters is beyond logic. Let's see: Support a liberal Democrat who backs abortion rights and universal health care, or someone who does not back abortion rights or universal health care. Hmmmm.


Consider the following, then: If a man votes for a man, not a party or ideals, but because he is a man, he is a bigot, a sexist. If a woman votes for a woman, not a party or ideals, but because she is a woman, she is an independent, a voter to be sought after.


Thought: From "Airplane!": There's a sale at Penny's!


1 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many people don't try to find out facts, and rely on a few poltical ads or the Tonight Show for their information. Just make an informed decision - don't worry that half the country will disagree with you. Half the country disagrees with them as well.
I'm no fan of Obama or McCain, and I suppose the lesser of two evils is still an evil, but what real choice is there? I'd rather see 3 to 5 major choices.
No, maybe not - Ohio is already going to be flooded with enough political ads from candidates and unregulated groups that I'll be begging for a tampon ad before Halloween.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home