LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Back to the routine


I had to share the above photo of Alyssa.


She is overseeing the marriage of two of her My Little Ponies. She set up the castle as a church, had the other ponies line the approach, then had a minister pony marry the two. After Alyssa played a wedding song from one of her CDs, the happy pony couple ascended on their honeymoon in a balloon.


Back to the routine


I offer that photo as a diversion, since the kids won't have a lot of time for that kind of fun now that school is in full gear. On Monday, we also started dance.


Dance this year is at a new location. The Dance Asylum moved out of downtown Saugatuck to a strip mall on Blue Star Highway. The new facility is nice -- spacious compared to the other building -- and has closed-circuit TV so we can watch the dance practice from the lobby without being a distraction to the kids or teachers.


I already miss the charm of downtown, though. I used to walk about town while the girls danced, look in shop windows, get shoo-ed away by old matrons sweeping their walks and sniff freshly baked pies on the windowsills. Well, no. I usually got coffee then went to feed the ducks along the riverfront. I often just took a nap in the car, alarming many passers-by who assumed I was a homeless man sleeping in random cars (I am not a snappy dresser, remember), drunk or dead. I haven't figured out which yet.


The worst loss: At the old site, a municipal playground was across the street, so the kids could have a break between classes or after. Now, the studio is next to a pizza shop, tanning booth and dollar store. For fun, we can go to the gas station across the lot!


Mondays are once again long days. The girls go to school, get out, have a snack then dance until 7 p.m. Then, homework and off to bed.


Thought: Ah, childhood!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home