LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, June 19, 2006

This and that

Just a few thoughts:

Typos: I caught some comments for some typos in my last entry. Sorry. I know that copy editing is what I do for a living, but, hey, cut me some slack at home. This blog is casual, done with dogs barking, kids yelling and the phone ringing.

Father's Day: I was glad to see The Sentinel did a nice piece on dads and their feelings about raising children. The role of fathers is over simplified, often villainized and certainly taken for granted in the media. Also, the paper didn't focus on soldiers -- talk about stereotypes! I don't see why manliness must be associated with state-sponsored murder.

Bike riding: I haven't been able to ride for a week, and it looks like I won't get able to get on the saddle for another week! I call it selfish, but I get frustrated by this.

Bike riding II: Tour de France starts July 1. Ian Ullrich won a major race the other day, putting him in a good position for the Tour de France despite his dropping out of the Giro. Even this Lance-less Tour should be interesting.

Reading: A while back I mentioned I was picking up Trotsky's "History of the Russian Revolution." I read the parts I needed to. Then, I read Marv Levy's autobiography. Despite losing all those Super Bowls, Marv left me with a good feeling about life. I'm now reading some more Robert Browning. I've been hitting more obscure poems here and there, and am re-reading the "Flight of the Duchess" now. I want to re-read "The Ring and The Book" soon.

Work: I remain confused about what's going on around me at work, but I've come to the point where I accept the things I cannot control, even though I don't like them, and am happy that I am collecting a paycheck.

Huh?: TV reports the demise of the metrosexual and the rise of macho men in the world. Again, I say, huh?

McCartney: Paul McCartney turned 64 Sunday. Several articles called his song "When I'm 64" a throwaway on "Sgt. Pepper's" The song is very important in the story of the album. It follows the spiritual searching of "Within You Without You," showing an attempt to save a relationship mirrors before the following song, "Lovely Rita" breaks the man's life apart with another affair.

Thought: I read the news today, oh boy. ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home