LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Good Morning, Good Morning

I used to be a morning person. Back in high school and college, mornings were my friend. I loved early classes and finishing studying by 7 p.m.

Then, I started working nights. For the last 14 years, I've had a mixed schedule, really. Some days, some nights. Now, with kids, I'm often up at 6 a.m. though still do a full 10-12 hour work shift and get home after 1:30 a.m.

I have co-workers who get 10-12 hours of sleep. Wow. I consider 8 hours a luxury and 10 hours is unimaginable.

But my point: I had to pick up my wife this morning at the auto body shop, so I dropped the kids off at school and headed up to Holland. Here's what baffles me: Why does morning radio suck?

I want some news, a few sports scores (though the Lions and Bills news depresses me) and the weather. There. That's about 3 minutes. The rest of the time, I want music. Lots of music.

You see, at 1 a.m., when I leave work, people aren't talking on the radio. LAV and WYVN are playing uninterrupted stretches of music, including the longer and more obscure rockers that I grew up with.

Why must morning DJs talk, talk and talk? I don't care what they say, I want music. I know, for example, that it was cold out Monday morning. I had to shovel and scrape the car and bundle the kids for a great Arctic expedition, so I don't need inane chatter from DJs in their warm radio booth telling me how they think it's cold. I need some Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Elvis (not most Christmas music! I'd listen to static before I listen to most of that sugary slop).

I was so desperate this morning to hear music that I even listened to that new 96.1, The Max, that plays whatever the cat drags in. I think I sat through some '80s pop bilge and whiney chic music (where have all the cowboys gone? Tell me!). I am pathetic.

The lesson learned for me: Bring a CD next time.

Thought: The sound you make is Muzak to my ears. You must have learned something in all those years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home