LeftyLog

Thoughts on bicycling, Beatles, media and misc.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Imagine

It's been 25 years since John Lennon was assassinated. I remember reading about it the next morning in the Buffalo Courier-Express newspaper. I even clipped out the article and pictures. I also saved the clippings from The Buffalo News. Sorry, I didn't hear about it during Monday Night Football. I was asleep. I used to be a morning person.

After 25 years, I still feel sad about John Lennon's death. I didn't cry or light candles in his memory. I just felt -- and still do -- kind of beaten down, like a cold, cloudy day that won't rain or snow, but feels like it ought to.

It's a shame because he was on the comeback, musically. "Double Fantasy" is a gem of an album. It's personal, introspective, musically and lyrically multi-levelled and overall well-conceived. Sharing the design with Yoko is classic. I must admit, though, that I can do without Yoko's material, but realize that Lennon's songs are worthless without her. Again, the beauty of "Double Fantasy."

A co-worker asked me recently what I thought of Yoko and Lennon. All I can say is that I think it may be the greatest love story of the 20th century.

The "Grand Rapids Press" on Sunday, Dec. 4, listed the "essential" Lennon: "In My Life," "Imagine," "Come Together," "A Day in the Life," "Revolution," "I am the Walrus," "Give Peace a Chance," "Mind Games," "(Just Like) Starting Over" and "All You Need is Love."

Here's my list (off the top of my head and the list could change in 10 minutes when I look at my old albums):

-- "Love"

-- "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

-- "Give Peace a Chance"

-- "A Day in the Life"

-- "Norwegian Wood (This Bird has Flown)"

-- "Imagine"

-- "(Just Like) Starting Over"

-- "Woman"

-- "God"

-- "How Do You Sleep?"

-- "Working Class Hero."

There's so much more and if you can get through "Two Virgins," "Life with the Lions" and "Sometime in New York City," then call youself a true fan.

Thought: We're all water in this vast, vast ocean. Let's evaporate together.

1 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Roel said...

here's a few lennon songs i really dig.

- "a day in the life"

- "love"

- "woman"

- "help"

- "she's so heavy"

- "mind games"

- "give peace a chance"

- "Living on borrowed time"

- "strawberry fields forever"

- "twist and shout" (for pure energy and scream quality in the voice)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home